Modifying Custody Rights

Can Custody Rights Be Modified?

Absolutely. You can go back to court to change a custody order if there is a substantial change of circumstance that has a significant, adverse effect on the child (such as visitation problems, erratic behavior, change in employment, residence, or marital status). Because we live in a highly mobile society, it is strongly recommended that you periodically evaluate the parenting plan. The courts recognize that many factors can be altered over a period following divorce and, though reluctant to change the parenting custody plan, the courts will do so if it is clearly necessary and in the best interest of the child.

Alternatively, the ex-spouses can voluntarily modify the last order by agreeing to changes between themselves. If there is a departure from the last custody order, it is best to put the new current changes in writing; oral agreements are difficult to enforce.

What Qualifies as a "Material Change of Circumstances"?

This could be the remarriage of one of the parties. Another is that the custodial parent wants to leave the state. One more is a change of health (such as a progressively chronic illness or disease) or economic circumstances (such as losing a job) that will effect the child. Finally, a change in the custodial parent's lifestyle -- such as working nights -- might merit a change. Proving the change of circumstances is a prerequisite to having the case heard. The court will still decide this question based on the best interests of the child.

What if I Do Not Like the Present Custody Order?

Can I File For Custody in Another State? Bouncing cases across state lines in search of a "favorable" judge who "sees it your way" was very common for years, made a mess of custody actions, until the enactment of the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act (UCCJA for short). Adopted by all states, it avoids the competition and conflict for jurisdiction between courts of different states. Courts cannot take custody cases unless the child has lived in the state for a certain period of time immediately preceding the filing of the lawsuit. Furthermore, a court cannot reiterate the custody awards of another state, unless there is a genuine emergency and even then, the modifications would be limited to the emergency, not to wholesale changes in the original custody arrangement. The bottom line, most likely, is going back to the state where the last custody order was issued.

Random Image

The information contained on or provided through this site is provided as general information that may or may not reflect the most current legal developments. This information is not intended to constitute, and should not be considered, legal advice. It is not intended to substitute for obtaining legal advice from competent, independent, legal counsel in the relevant jurisdiction. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Users should not act or rely on this information and should seek specific guidance directly from an attorney regarding any legal questions or problems they may have. Use of this site and any information contained on or provided through this site is at your own risk and any information contained on or provided through this site is provided on an "as is" basis without any representations or warranties.