Relocation and Child Custody

What if the Custodial Parent Wants to Move Away From the Non-Custodial Parent?

Where the relocation distance is small, there might not even be a material change in circumstance upon which a parent could move the court to modify an existing custody and visitation order. Since typically a material change of circumstance is required before a court will modify an existing custody or visitation order, a move across town ordinarily is an insufficient basis upon which the existing order would be changed. Although the relocation may make the visitation exchange more difficult, it may remain practical to comply with the existing order, so no change would be made.

Where the relocation distance is great, the case becomes more complex. The primary factor of best interest of the child continues to be considered along with facts such as (1) the existing custody and visitation arrangement, (2) the attachment and support of the non-custodial parent and other relatives, (3) the child's ties to the community, school, church or synagogue, and friends, and (4) the child's desires and wishes. Only a small minority of states require a custodial parent to get the written consent of the non-custodial parent or a court order based upon a finding of the court that it is in the best interest of the child to allow the move. In many states, a custodial parent can relocate if there is a valid reason for the relocation and the move does not result in harm to the child.

The ability of the child to have continuing and frequent contact with both parents, without a detrimental effect due to the relocation, is the primary consideration for a court in modifying an existing order to allow the relocation. The modified order of the court could provide additional time with the non-custodial parent during summer and other school recesses and the obligation of the custodial parent to pay the additional transportation expenses incurred in facilitating the visitation exchange.

Custodial parents who move away with the child without providing notice to the other parent may not only face a change in custody to the other parent but also criminal charges of kidnapping. Before any move is entertained, the non-custodial parent should be informed of the impending move and an effort made to reach a mutually acceptable parenting plan based upon the proposed location of both parents. A relocation by the custodial parent requires careful consideration of the non-custodial parent's rights as early in the planning process as possible. Move-away cases can become very difficult to resolve and court involvement can be both costly and time consuming. Thus, leaving in the dead of the night without leaving a forwarding address could have very detrimental effects to the custodial parent.

Random Image

The information contained on or provided through this site is provided as general information that may or may not reflect the most current legal developments. This information is not intended to constitute, and should not be considered, legal advice. It is not intended to substitute for obtaining legal advice from competent, independent, legal counsel in the relevant jurisdiction. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Users should not act or rely on this information and should seek specific guidance directly from an attorney regarding any legal questions or problems they may have. Use of this site and any information contained on or provided through this site is at your own risk and any information contained on or provided through this site is provided on an "as is" basis without any representations or warranties.